Funny Book Splatter 025: Ben Kahn
This week’s guest is writer Ben Kahn. I was first exposed to his work through the stellar graphic novel Shaman, now available through ComiXology. Ben’s latest work is Heavenly Blues, debuting on July 26th from Scout Comics. It has one of the best premises in recent memory. It’s Ocean’s Eleven...in Hell. If that doesn’t catch your attention, nothing will. Heavenly Blues works with a very unique view of the underworld that I haven’t seen before. I’ve had the pleasure of reading the first two issues and it’s definitely worth your attention. Be sure you ask for it at your local comic shop.
In other news, since this is episode #25, I think it’s time for a little celebration. In comics, issue #25 would be considered a special event. You might get a double-sized issue. Maybe a lenticular cover. Definitely collector’s item material. So to celebrate this monumental occasion, I’m holding a contest. While writing for HorrorTalk over the years, I’ve picked up a bunch of stuff that I’m not quite sure what to do with. Now, I’m going to put them in a box and send it to one of you. You’ll help me clean out my office and get a bunch of cool horror comic stuff in the process. The box will be a grabbag of sorts with at least one graphic novel, some comics, prints, buttons, and other assorted items, all related to horror comics. If you want to enter to win the prize pack, check out the Rafflecopter below. US residents only, no PO Boxes.
If you dig Funny Book Splatter, your best bet to ensure you receive each and every episode is to subscribe via one of the links below.
Lastly, if you're a horror comics creator, I want to hear from you! Whether you're a first time writer launching a Kickstarter campaign or an established artist who has been working in the industry for years, you'd be a welcome guest on the show. Reach out to me via email or on Twitter.
Music by Eric Matyas (www.soundimage.org)
1. One entry per household. Multiple entries will be disqualified.
2. Entries accepted from USA residents only.
3. Entrants must be over 18.
4. No alternative prize is available.
5. Winners will be drawn from correct answers received by the closing date from eligible entrants.
6. The winner(s) is responsible for all local, county, state, and federal taxes on prizes based on the value of the prizes. Where prizes are sent overseas, all fees (including, but not limited to, local customs fees, import taxes and excess delivery charges) are the sole responsibility of recipient. Neither HorrorTalk nor the contest sponsors will provide a secondary or replacement prize in the case where prize is held pending payment, or seized by a country's customs department.
7. Neither HorrorTalk nor the contest sponsors will be held responsible for lost, damaged, or stolen prizes.
8. Prizes may not be sold, transferred or otherwise disposed of without the express, written permission of HorrorTalk. Failure to comply with this rule will result in a permanent ban from all future contests.
9. HorrorTalk reserves the right to refuse entry to known serial competition entrants, 'compers' and social media profiles that consist predominantly of contest entries. HorrorTalk will have ultimate and final say on who fits those criteria. The editor's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
10. HorrorTalk reserves the right to cancel the competition at any time, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise beyond its control.
11. Contest closes August 2nd, 2017.
Want to share some news? Click here to hit us with it!