[HTBC #03] - Gilchrist: A Novel by Christian Galacar

Books, comics etc. anything that's on a page and not moving.
Alien Redrum
Mocks you.
Mocks you.
Anti-Spam Question: No
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 34 times

[HTBC #03] - Gilchrist: A Novel by Christian Galacar

Post by Alien Redrum » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:12 pm

Gilchrist: A Novel by Christian Galacar

Two years after losing their infant son to a tragic accident, Peter Martell, a novelist with a peculiar knack for finding lost things, and his wife, Sylvia, are devastated to learn they may no longer be able to have children. In need of a fresh start, and compelled by strange dreams, the couple decide to rent a lake house in the idyllic town of Gilchrist, Massachusetts, a place where bad things might just happen for a reason. As bizarre events begin to unfold around them—a chance encounter with a gifted six-year-old boy, a series of violent deaths, and repeated sightings of a strange creature with a terrifying nature—Peter and Sylvia find themselves drawn into the chaos and soon discover that coming to Gilchrist may not have been their decision at all.

Set against a small New England town in the summer of 1966, Gilchrist is a sinister tale about the haunting origins of violence, evil, and the undying power of memory.

Purchase here (or at the bookstore of your choice) and join in on the discussion:

Cast of Characters (may contain spoilers):
Peter - Husband of Sylvia, spending a 3-week holiday on the lake in Gilchrist.
Sylvia - Wife of Peter, spending a 3-week holiday on the lake in Gilchrist.
Tom - Peter's agent.
George Batemen - Bar owner. Makes a great burger.
Sue - Does the upkeep for the house Peter and Sylvia are renting. Could be 40, could be 60.
Nate Osterman - Town tow truck driver. Beats his son and probably his wife. Alcoholic.
Ricky - Town thug. Abusive father. Son of Nate.
Hooch - Ricky's best (only) friend.
Corbin - Town sheriff. Father of Grace, husband of NAME.
Grace - Daughter of Corbin. 15. Has a good head.
Beverly - Grace's best friend. Crushes on Ricky. Teaching herself to smoke so she won't be a square.
Elhouse - Old man.
Gertie - Old woman.
Kevin Dooley - Kid that disappeared in his house then reappeared coming from the woods.
Laura Dooley - Kevin's mother. Husband's dead.
Buck Ryerson - Owns the hearse/ambulance.
Hank Barrett - Town's local doctor.
Jim Krantz- Son of Dick Krantz. Found the Gilchrist boy.
Sandy - Teenager with Jim. Good at blowjobs. Doesn't like her head forced down.
Dave Blatten - Husband of Sarah. Cop. Abusive to wife and dogs.
Sarah Blatten - Wife of Dave. Wants Dave dead. Probably gonna get Billy to do it.
Billy - Local cop. Sleeping with Sarah.
Fayette Pynchon - Former Pastor until he had a stroke. Now he paints his visions.
Gale - Wife of Fayette.
Leo - Husband to Helen. Real estate agent. Makes pens out of wood.
Helen - Wife of Leo. Likes church.
Benny Feller - Daughter died. Blamed demons.
Sorry, no, the less that TV companies plough into reality bullshit, the better. - Follow HorrorTalk on Twitter.

Letterboxd - HorrorTalk.com 2018 Halloween Horror Movie Challenge

Alien Redrum
Mocks you.
Mocks you.

Re: [HTBC #03] - Gilchrist: A Novel by Christian Galacar

Post by Alien Redrum » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:49 pm

I haven't read the first three chapters yet, but I thought I did until I went to post my thoughts.

Heads up; the chapters have numbers in them. So it will go:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
And so on.

Shit. :lol:
Sorry, no, the less that TV companies plough into reality bullshit, the better. - Follow HorrorTalk on Twitter.

shiki-jitsu
HorrorTalk Hardcore
HorrorTalk Hardcore
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by shiki-jitsu » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:18 am

:lol: Yeah that threw me at first as well. :lol:

I am just about finished with the third chapter though, thoughts coming soon.

Alien Redrum
Mocks you.
Mocks you.

Post by Alien Redrum » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Spoilers for Chapters Prologue-03:
Prologue
Bad News
Dale's Delight
Ricky Osterman

Okay, I finished up chapter 3 on Thursday or so, but haven't had a chance to write anything (obvs).

The prologue did a good job hooking me. I'm already curious as to what possessed the dude, and what happened to him. As this was what? In 1931 and Chapter 1 starts in like the 1966, it's a nice tease.

It's been a while since I've read a meaty, character-filled book, so it's going to take a minute for me to get really involved in it. That said, I didn't care much for the first chapter. There was nothing about any of the characters that appealed to me other than the guy who rented the lodge to Peter, and maybe Peter's agent. So when Sylvia tried to off herself, I didn't really care.

I did however like the interaction between Peter and the family doctor. That dude saw right through Peter's bullshit and was having none of it.

The next chapter with the old people was more of the same, although I'm curious as to how they are going to play into it, and what exactly old dude did when he followed his demon wife into the wood.

That said, I really liked Ricky's story. I don't want to make a comparison to King here, but something about that whole scene with Ricky and the other teens felt very King-like. It's as if Ricky is Henry Bowers or...John Travolta in Carrie. I know these types of characters are a dime a dozen, but something about Ricky feels VERY much like a King character, but I can't put my finger on it and probably won't be able to until the magical negro shows up.

I don't think this is bad by any stretch. I'm curious as to where it's going, but it hasn't yet grabbed me. However, I suspect it will sooner than later.

shiki-jitsu
HorrorTalk Hardcore
HorrorTalk Hardcore
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by shiki-jitsu » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Spoilers for Chapters Prologue-03:
Prologue
Bad News
Dale's Delight
Ricky Osterman

I am going to echo a lot of what AR already said.

The prologue definitely lured me in. I'm iffy on Peter and Sylvia. It's interesting, obviously will be going somewhere, this was all nice setup to get to the meat of it I hope. The parts with the young kids at the lake were annoying. Maybe I just hate kids, but it was starting to turn me away, something about the writing in that section was gnawing at me (and maybe it is the King-ness of Ricky.)

The old couple's chapter was definitely bringing me back in. I am intrigued. I want to know what is going on. The hinting at something in their youth, when they were on their walk. The 'demon wife' as you called it. Such a good scene. And back when he was in bed after the lost time. So good. Pulled me back in, left me wanting more.

Ricky is definitely King-like. I didn't think of that at all when I was reading it, but I definitely see it (though I also do not know why). Maybe it is in the simplicity of his orgin story. The poor kid with the abusive father, the lack of love of his mother. The rest of the story about Ricky is interesting. His murders are interesting.

I haven't ready anymore yet, but I am definitely intrigued. I am not wowed by the writing so far, but it is good enough.

Alien Redrum
Mocks you.
Mocks you.

Post by Alien Redrum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:28 pm

shiki-jitsu wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:20 pm
Ricky is definitely King-like. I didn't think of that at all when I was reading it, but I definitely see it (though I also do not know why). Maybe it is in the simplicity of his orgin story. The poor kid with the abusive father, the lack of love of his mother. The rest of the story about Ricky is interesting. His murders are interesting.
YES!
haven't ready anymore yet, but I am definitely intrigued. I am not wowed by the writing so far, but it is good enough.
That's a perfect way to describe it. It's getting the job done.

Alien Redrum
Mocks you.
Mocks you.

Post by Alien Redrum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Spoilers for chapters 04-06:
The Metzger Kid is Dead
Shady Cove
A Sunday Morning in Gilchrist

Okay, so now we're starting to cook. These three chapters are all better than the prior three and the story is starting to (slightly) develop. I still really don't care about (assumedly) the main characters, Kevin and Sylvia, but what are you going to do.

Ricky's forced car accident was fanfuckingtastic, and I love what was going on with the 18-year-old and the 30-year-old when they came up on the wreckage. :lol:

WTF was up with the cop burning the poor dog's nose!!! :mad: :cry2:
I love, though, that his wife his sexing it up with the other cop though. Kind of some just deserts there, but there is no doubt we'll see a confrontation soon enough.

LOVE how the little boy disappeared. LOVE how the little boy re-appeared. I'm all about what happened there.

The death of the real estate guy was cringe inducing and kind of sad. Galacar did a good job building up that character in a short time for me to kind of care about him.

I'm more into the book now, but if there's one problem I have, it has a frustrating amount of characters, almost too many. Like, for some reason (and this is probably totally on me), I didn't even put two and two together that the tow truck driver was Ricky's father until later on when he and Ricky had the confrontation.

I'm going to list the characters on the first post, so please tell me to add any I'm missing.

Alien Redrum
Mocks you.
Mocks you.

Post by Alien Redrum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:01 pm

(Read that cast of characters after you finish chapter 6.)