Wednesday, 22 October 2014 15:23

Home

Frightfest 2014 - Films in Focus #2

Click image to enlarge.

FRIGHTFEST MAIN SCREEN: SHOCKWAVE, DARKSIDE

Frightfest 2013's Banshee Chapter caused much grumbling among the assembled masses for its superfluous use of 3D. While it had its fair share of terror-inducing moments, the presentation of a mostly found footage film in what many assumed to be post production-applied 3D (in actual fact the film was shot in with two cameras in stereoscopic 3D) made sense to very few in the audience. The producers of Banshee Chapter have returned for 2014 with another 3D movie, but in the case of Shockwave, Darkside 3D it looks like the cinematic gimmick that refuses to die may be well utilised.

Shot over four years, with stereoscopic 3D in mind from the beginning, Sockwave Darkside is inspired by the storytelling of classic sci-fi literature from the 50s, but with a 21st century 3D twist. It's billed by its producers as "an exciting, thoughtful and timely exploration of the tense collision between faith and reason."

"I envisioned Shockwave as a kind of call-back to the science fiction I grew up with" says writer and director Jay Weisman, "sort of a modern-­day interpretation of the character-­centric morality tales like The Twilight Zone and even some of the 'Lost Patrol' war movies of the 50s. It also occurred to me that is was a unique opportunity to update this kind of storytelling by weaving in visual narrative devices usually found in first-person video games. This also allowed us to take great advantage of the 3D space and give the movie a kind of weird, lonely tension that I hope is very unique and special".

Synopsis:

Five soldiers, shot down and behind enemy lines in a battle over water, frozen in the deep craters of the lunar surface, find themselves marooned on the dark side of the moon. With depleting air and supplies, they have no choice but to start a dangerous trek through hostile territory.

As their numbers dwindle and nerves fray, they make an amazing discovery about the moon that just might save their lives, but destroy the very cause that they are fighting for.

The film stars Bill Sage, seen in last year's We Are What We Are, Mei Melançon (CSI, Deadwood), Sonequa Martin-Green (best known for her role as Sasha in AMC's The Walking Dead), Rich Ceraulo (Bones, Death Sentence) and Alexander Cendese (Blumenthal, Catskill Park)

Shockwave, Darkside 3D will play on Friday 22nd August in the Main Screens. Screen 5 at 13.00, Screen 6 at 10.30am and Screen 7 at 15.45. 

imageimageimageimageimage

Click images to enlarge.

Shop for Horror at Amazon US or Amazon UK!

Want to share some news? Click here to hit us with it!

Meanwhile on the internet:

Popular Categories

Search

All content © 2002-Present. No reproduction permitted without expressed permission from HorrorTalk.com.